Happy Friday Bolts Nation!
We are now five days removed from the NHL All Star Break and have gladly welcomed back our Bolts in Blue to the ice of the Tampa Bay Times Forum, and what a exciting week of Tampa Hockey it has been. The Lightning played two games this week against divisional foes, the Washington Capitals and the Winnipeg Jets, during which we saw both games go to overtime with different results. On Tuesday’s game against the Capitals we watched as Steven Stamkos potted yet another OT winner, notching his 33rd league-leading goal of the season (For more on Stammer check out BBTB Lora Andrews’ recent piece on him). On Thursday, we watched Kyle Wellwood score the OT winner for the Jets. The Bolts snagged three points out of a possible four in those two games, which is never really a bad thing, but considering our current position in the standings,we cannot afford to give up a single point to divisional opponents, let alone conference opponents. Except for some work to be done on passing and preventing turnovers, they were two very well played games. There is still a long road ahead of the team in vying for a playoff spot, but if they can continue to improve on their fundamentals and the details of the game, making a spot no longer seems as much of a long shot as it did prior to the break.
Now that this week in Tampa Bay has been quickly recapped I would like to share some notable posts from around the FanSided-NHL Network.
- Jeff K, Capitals Outsider, has begun to question the playoff viability of the Washington Capitals in the post “Is The Capitals’ Season Over?“
- Michael Lombardi, Ducks Daily Blog, brings attention to the current NHL System for Points/Standings in the post “A Flawed System?“
- Cait Platt, Flame For Thought, celebrates Black History Month in Part One of the post “Faces That Shape The Calgary Flames“
- Kevin N, Octopus Thrower, places the spotlight on Net-minder Ty Conklin in “Ty Conklin: Where Do We Go From Here?“
- Last night Sam Gagner had an eight point game netting four goals and four assists! Here are the Fansided observations from both sides of the fight:
Jeff Chapman, Oil on Whyte, “EIGHT Is GREAT For Sam Gagner”
Greg Boysen, Blackhawk Up, “Observations From Section 321: 8 Is Enough“
- And lastly, for a bit of fun, James Wrable, Blue Line Station, introduces us to Sean Avery, Fashion Judge!
That about wraps up my highlights for the week Bolts Fans! Well that and the fact that Ken Campbell has not decided to write about the Lightning this week, which I am quite thankful for! Here’s to Saturday night! Go Bolts! #betheTHUNDER amd #beRELENTLESS
Take care and take it easy,
- Jim Courteau